Halloween is about dressing up trick or treating and having fun with family and friends. Fireworks and bonfires are dangerous and can lead to serious injury. so this October 31st Be Safe Stay Safe.
Traditionally bonfires were lit using wood and straw; however, with changing times many bonfires are now used as a means of disposing of waste. Waste materials such as plastic and tyres, mattresses and furniture contain chemicals which, when burned, produce toxic fumes. They are emitted into the air we breathe and are some of the most dangerous pollutants to health. They contaminate the land around the fire and the back-gardens over which the smoke passes. Once released, these toxins will persist for a long time in our environment. They cause problems to people who have respiratory diseases and some of the effects on health may be long-term.
If we follow a few simple rules on the night everyone can enjoy and have fun.
- Do not leave material lying around that may be taken for a bonfire; many garage or garden shed items such as petrol, white spirits, diesel, aerosols, batteries, tins of paint, bottles and tyres are extremely dangerous if set on fire
- Parents, business and householders should not provide any materials for bonfires.
- Do not facilitate illegal bonfires or firework displays on or near your home or property
- Explain the dangers of illegal fireworks and bonfires to children and teenagers
- Stay a safe distance from bonfires and fireworks – wind can carry sparks long distances and can cause permanent injuries and scars
- Do not buy, use or supply fireworks
- Respect the work of the Emergency Services, Council Staff and the Gardaí
- Keep pets indoors on Halloween night
- Above All – Be Safe and Stay Safe